The variety of use cases of IoT apps is far beyond what many expect and therefore makes IoT app development an enticing process. It’s a win-win for all parties involved- businesses or consumers. IoT services or apps enhance consumers’ lives through smart home solutions, wearables for health tracking, and other similar advancements. Businesses too can leverage this technology to streamline operations, increase productivity, and offer better customer services.
What does the market trend say about this advanced and intuitive technology? Well, according to Gartner, by the year 2025, there will be 55.7 billion connected IoT devices. Additionally, the IoT market reached a value of 483.28 Billion in 2022, by 2028 it is expected to reach 2270.42 Billion USD globally. Therefore, one thing is certain: the sector is highly profitable and in demand, and this is highly likely to go up. Digital transformation companies are thus increasingly investing in IoT-powered mobile app development services to stay ahead of the competition.
However, to capture the true potential of the Internet of Things, businesses must understand certain factors so they can build a secure, personalized, and scalable IoT application. This blog will help you know what is required for building a successful Internet of Things app. In addition, we will also discuss some of the factors that may impact your app development costs.
6 Factors That Can Make Or Break Your IoT App Development Success
There’s no doubt that effective app development services demand strategic planning and execution. It, however, also requires a few considerations to think over as you start your IoT app development process.
Step 1: Define App Requirements
Setting up your IoT app’s purpose and scope is crucial to its development journey. Therefore, conduct a detailed analysis of your goals and objectives, stripping them down to their core. It’s crucial to keep in mind what you aim to achieve when your IoT application is up and running. Consider objectives such as:
- Do you want to offer users a glimpse into their locations throughout the day, which can be invaluable for businesses like delivery services?
- Is monitoring environmental factors like temperature or humidity to empower industries like healthcare where precise climate control is essential the goal of your app?
- Are you aiming to offer detection and responding to potentially hazardous gasses in industrial settings for facilities like refineries with your app?
Step 2: Select Appropriate Hardware
Selecting the type of hardware also plays a crucial role in IoT app development. While deciding hardware requirements isn’t an easy task, they are fundamental to your IoT project’s effectiveness. Moreover, changing hardware later can be a costly and time-consuming process.
- Select sensors based on specific project requirements such as for smartwatches you need oximeters or pedometers.
- Tailor hardware to match the application’s focus and end goal because some sensors like industrial and automotive sensors demand higher reliability.
- Decide which one you need for data processing as microcontrollers are used for simple tasks, while microprocessors are for more computational power.
- Ensure hardware can scale as the project grows and adapts to increased devices or feature additions for long-term viability.
- Go for reliable and durable hardware that can withstand harsh environments or critical industries as reliability minimizes downtime and maintenance costs.
Step 3: Proper Connectivity Protocols
To ensure that your IoT apps can effectively transmit information with other applications and between themselves, you need the right connectivity protocols. These protocols can be WiFi, 2G, 5G, Bluetooth, LoRa, NB-IoT, and Zigbee, so remember these factors:
- If your device is going to be primarily operating in home or office environments, WiFi is an excellent choice for data transmission due to its widespread availability and high bandwidth.
- For devices in motion or in remote locations, cellular connectivity, such as GSM, maybe a more suitable option.
- Devices like smartwatches may benefit from Bluetooth for short-range connectivity.
Step 4: Ensure Robust Firmware
Firmware is the software that runs on your IoT devices and ensures the successful operation of your hardware. So make sure it is equipped with essential capabilities to enhance the efficiency and reliability of your IoT devices:
- Implement mechanisms for reattempting data transmission in case of network disconnections to prevent data loss and ensure seamless operation.
- Enable data storage on devices in the absence of network connectivity, especially for devices that may be mobile or located in remote areas.
- Utilize data batching and compression to reduce data transmission costs over time, which can significantly impact the return on investment.
- Incorporate data encryption using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to protect sensitive data during transmission, ensuring data security.
- Ensure the device has the ability to download and apply over-the-air firmware updates, enhancing device performance and efficiency over time.
Step 5: Choose the Right IoT Platform
Before selecting the right IoT platform, remember that it should be robust and scalable enough to manage millions of concurrent device connections and allow configuration for machine-to-machine interactions. They can be IoT Cloud Platforms, IoT Device Management Platforms, or IoT Application Enablement Platforms.
- Assess the platform’s reliability and uptime to ensure that your application remains accessible to users without significant downtime.
- A platform with effective debugging tools can expedite the troubleshooting and development process.
Ensure that the platform offers stable features, minimizing the risk of disruptions to your application with comprehensive platform security protocols to protect your data and devices from potential threats.
- Consider the platform’s migration capabilities, as scalability and growth may necessitate transferring to a different platform.
- Assess the platform’s compatibility with your chosen connectivity protocols and devices. In addition, it can accommodate the growth of your IoT application and handle increased data volumes as your user base expands.
Secure Your Application
This is a crucial aspect of your IoT app development as the IoT technology is dynamic and ever-evolving, it results in continuously changing security requirements. Moreover, as your application gathers data from devices, it becomes a potential target for cyber threats or attacks, making security measures crucial.
Ensure that your IoT application includes robust security protocols such as data encryption, access control mechanisms, or even multi-authentication factors to safeguard your devices and customer data.
IoT App Development Overview: Benefits, Trends & Costs
So far we got an idea of some of the major elements to consider while we start our IoT app development journey. So how does IoT app development help businesses? Here’s how:
- IoT apps make things easier and faster by automating tasks and optimizing processes.
- They help businesses offer more personalized and interactive services to customers.
- Help businesses save money and resources by optimizing resource consumption and maintenance.
- Data-driven decision-making for efficient and strategic business growth.
Factors Affecting IoT App Development Cost
The IoT app development costs depend on various factors like features, the platform it runs on, or even the number and type of devices that an IoT app connects to. But on average, an IoT app development cost can range from $20,000 to $60,000.
For instance, the cost of IoT monitoring machines and systems would start from $25,000. Moreover, the IoT cost for the entire business automation would be around $50,000-80,000. Whereas, a simple IoT app because of limited device connection possibility and lack of extensive features besides basic connection and rendering of information will cost somewhere around $30,00-40,000.
Is IoT the Future of Mobile App Development?
The future of IoT in mobile app development looks promising, as more devices and sensors are expected to join the Internet of Things. Some of the trends and opportunities that can shape the IoT app development world are:
- Edge computing: IoT apps require real-time responses, such as self-driving cars and industrial robots. With edge computing, the processing of data becomes quicker and faster. Thus boosting the speed of decision-making.
- AI and machine learning: Together these technologies enable IoT apps to analyze data and make predictions. This can make the IoT apps smarter and more responsive to the user’s needs and preferences.
- Blockchain Technology: Using blockchain technology in IoT app development can protect IoT data and transactions from tampering and fraud, thus increasing the trust and reliability of IoT systems.
- IoT in healthcare: The presence of IoT in healthcare is new but with smart devices, the quality and efficiency of healthcare delivery and outcomes can be enhanced. For instance, wearable devices can monitor patient health, help with remote diagnosis, and improve access to healthcare.
- Sustainability Initiatives: With the help of IoT technology, smart cities, energy-saving systems, and waste management solutions. As is the case of Airport IoT solutions that are helping airports optimize resources, reduce emissions, and enhance life on Earth.
App-solutely Nail IoT App Development: Key Takeaways
With the advent of so many technological advancements, it’s an indisputable fact that IoT and subsequently IoT app development will continue to change the way organizations or individuals are connected to intelligent technologies. It’s imperative for businesses to keep their IoT infrastructure updated as the demand for IoT services keeps changing. Having said that, it’s a fact that currently, the applications for IoT are a challenge for developers because it’s not based on conventional methods unlike web or mobile apps. However, the factors discussed in this blog can guide your decision-making when designing an IoT app best suited for your business.
In addition, identifying the challenges and trying to solve them one after another requires a systematic channel and working around them. Therefore, seeking an IoT app development company can be of great assistance. These professionals can come up with new ideas to refine the IoT application and make IoT app development a cost-effective, seamless, and smooth journey!