Most enterprises and non-profit organizations prefer to adopt cloud services as an essential aspect of their IT strategy. Infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), and software as a service (SaaS) are three core service models of the cloud computing market. In the last decade, the growing use of cloud computing has become a trend. Yet, some companies are still hesitant to trust their business data in any cloud app. These days, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), IBM, Microsoft, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) are prominent players in the competitive market. Here, a quick discussion on AWS vs GCP will help readers understand which cloud computing service matters the most for your business goals.
Market share of AWS and GCP players
Cloud computing explains the use of remote server networking to store, manage, and process data. According to a global data research firm Statista, cloud computing generated 300+ billion US dollars in revenue in 2020 as a segment of IT services. It also declares that Amazon Web Services retained about 33 percent share of the cloud infrastructure service market in the 2nd quarter of 2021. AWS has been capturing around 1/3rd share of the total market size for the last five years. On the other hand, it is Google Cloud that takes 10 percent of the full market share.
Based on the above-shared statistics, Amazon Web Services has established itself as a market leader in cloud infrastructure. Moreover, the profit ratio of AWS is far ahead of its global competitors, including GCP and Microsoft. AWS earned $39 billion in global cloud infrastructure service revenues in the first quarter of 2021.
KEY DIFFERENCE: Google Cloud Vs AWS
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
AWS is a unique platform that offers reliable, scalable, flexible, easy-to-use, and cost-effective solutions for cloud computing. This platform offers a superb cloud service collection for building a fully-fledged infrastructure. Look at some of the special features of AWS that make it the first choice of all. These include:
• AWS enables you to deploy your app in multiple regions globally with just a few clicks
• AWS offers centralized management and billing
• AWS offers hybrid capabilities
• Lower cost of ownership compared to private/dedicated servers
Why choose AWS Web services?
• A range of automated functionalities for setting up, configuration, or scaling
• AWS offers an easy deployment process for an application development
• Cost-effective service as you pay only for what you use
• Familiar programming models, databases, operating systems, and architectures
• Ideal for improving the application development team’s productivity
• Invest little time in the deployment of a new web or app version
• Quick cloud access with limitless capacity
• When your DevOps team can configure and manage the infrastructure
• When your project needs high computing power
Another side of AWS
• AWS deployment process is not easy as it takes time.
• Multiple app instances launching is a very difficult
• Not ideal for non-tech-savvy start-ups
• Unreliable deployment with no error description
• You deploy your app yourself using recipes, Capistrano, or manually
Google Cloud Platform
Launched by Google in 2011, the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) enables business enterprises to thrive and grow. You can get benefited from Google’s infrastructure and services that are flexible, intelligent, and secure. Look at some of the unique features of Google Cloud. These include:
• Better UI to improve user experience
• It has a broad network access
• It offers an on-demand self-service
• More languages and operating system inclusion
• Easy resource pooling with rapid elasticity
Why choose Google Cloud Platform?
• Big data and machine learning products
• Cost-efficiency occurred due to long-term discounts
• Future-proof infrastructure and powerful data analytics
• Higher productivity gained through quick access to innovation
• It lets employees work from anywhere
• Instance and payment configuration
• Serverless environment to connect cloud services with a focus on micro-services architecture
Another side of Google Cloud
• Lacks features compared to AWS
• Out of free tier, everything costs
• Small components, difficult to start
Key differences: AWS vs GCP
AWS is a safe and secure cloud service managed and developed by Amazon. On the other hand, Google Cloud is a set of Google’s public cloud computing services and resources. Google Cloud delivers Google Cloud Storage, whereas AWS is famous for Amazon Simple Storage Services. Data transmission is a fully encrypted format in Google cloud services. On the other hand, data transmission is a complete general format in AWS. Google Cloud volume size, generally, is 1 GB-64 TB. AWS volume size is 500 GB-16 TB. AWS is known for cloud-based disaster recovery services, while Google Cloud offers backup services. Here, professional cloud and DevOps consultants can help you make the most out of the capabilities of cloud platforms: AWS vs GCP.
Although both platforms have pros and cons, choosing a particular platform from AWS and GCP depends on your specific business needs. You can take help from cloud experts to know which platform will professionally suit your unique needs.